How to make hair gel at home: 4 easy and natural recipes
When we think of hair gels, it’s mostly about styling curls. Well, you can do that and nourish your dry and frizzy hair by using homemade hair gels. A hair gel made at home does not contain alcohol or chemicals that can lead to dryness. It can even make your hair softer! So, you can leave behind your worries about your hair gel further damaging your tresses. All you have to do is follow these DIY hair gel recipes to combat dry and frizzy hair.
Causes of dry and frizzy hair
You can end up with dry and frizzy hair due to various reasons.
Here are some common causes of dry hair:
1. Lack of natural oils
Your scalp produces natural oils called sebum, which is responsible for keeping your hair hydrated. Some people might have less sebum production, leading to dry hair, says Bengaluru-based dermatologist and cosmetologist Dr Kisalay Saurav.
Women with dry hair must have noticed that their hair gets frizzy during a hot and humid day. That’s because the dry cuticle becomes rough and then opens up for humidity. So, humidity makes dry hair frizzy as the outer layer starts soaking up the moisture from the air.
3. Excessive washing and using hot water
Washing your hair too often or with hot water can strip away the natural oils, making your hair dry, the expert tells Health Shots. Also, if you wash your hair in very hot water, it can cause the same effect as humidity.
4. Using harsh hair products
Using shampoos and hair styling products like hair gel with harsh chemicals can be detrimental. They can strip the hair of its natural oils that can smooth the hair. So, stay away from products containing sulfates and alcohols.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.
DIY hair gel recipes for dry and frizzy hair
While there are homemade hair masks that you can try to hydrate your hair, you can also go for natural hair gels.
Here are some options –
1. Aloe vera hair gel
• One leaf of aloe vera
• One cup of water
• One lemon
• Take the gel off the aloe vera leaf.
• Boil the cup of water and add juice of the single lemon as well as the aloe vera gel.
• Boil it for another 5 to 10 minutes till the mixture begins to thicken then let it cool.
Dr Saurav says aloe vera is known for its hydrating properties, so it can moisturise hair, reducing dryness and frizz while styling your hair.
2. Flaxseed hair gel
• One cup of flaxseeds
• One cup of water
• Take a bowl and soak the flax seeds overnight and the following morning boil them in water.
• Boil the seeds for at least 30 minutes till you get a gel consistency.
• Separate the gel from the seeds.
Flaxseeds contain omega-3 fatty acids that moisturise hair, and as a styling gel, it can enhance your curls or straighten your hair.
3. Shea butter hair gel
• One tablespoon of aloe vera gel
• One tablespoon of shea butter
• Take the aloe vera gel and shea butter and blend it till you get a smooth mixture.
While shea butter can deeply moisturise your hair, aloe vera is good for hydration.
4. Chia seed gel
• One cup of chia seeds
• Four cups of distilled water
• Two tablespoons of castor oil
• 10 drops of vitamin E oil
• 10 drops of lavender essential oil
• Take a pan and mix the chia seeds with distilled water.
• Cover the pan and let the mixture stay overnight.
• Heat the pan for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Stir then strain the mixture through a sieve and discard the chia seeds.
• Add the vitamin E oil, lavender essential oil and castor oil and mix them.
• Let the mixture cool down then pour it into a sterilized container.
Chia seeds contain vitamins and minerals that help to strengthen hair, castor oil is more like a natural conditioner, vitamin E may help to support a healthy scalp and hair, and lavender essential oil may help to promote hair growth.
Use these natural hair gels to style your hair as you want to.